Monday, April 21, 2014

On My Easel - Listening to the Blues - original oil figurative work in progress


This painting that I'm working on is based on my drawing of a model holding a wineglass.  There's much work to be done, I know, but it's sort of taking on a bit of a life of its own, which can be good.  I hope it's going to be a success - right now, it's so wet I can't tell a lot about it and I really won't know 'til it's finished.  That's the thing, or one of the things about making art, you just don't know whether a painting is going to be good or not 'til it's done.  And there's all that time and effort and emotion - well, I could go on and on - but you probably know what I mean - and it's so discouraging if it's a flop.  In that case - and I have a lot of those cases - it's good if there's a lesson in there somewhere so that whatever went wrong doesn't do that again.  So next time something else can go wrong, instead!  Do I sound negative? sorry  Thanks so much for stopping by!

2 comments:

Anthony Duce said...

Like this a lot. In it’s present form, it could be considered finished as a great sketch, or continued to meet goals you alone must establish. This is always the hardest stage for me. It’s so disappointing when taken too far.

Connie Chadwell said...

Thank you, Anthony. I was reading an article in - I think it was the Artists magazine - about leaving things a little "unfinished" not being a bad thing. To me, unfinished is definitely better.