Thursday, September 18, 2014

Jerri - original oil pastel portrait drawing


The past few days, I've been doing sort of stream of consciousness drawings and this is one of them.  It's probably not really a stream of consciousness drawing, but it is one that's not been analyzed to death.  Just drawn and done. On Strathmore 403 paper, it's about 8 x 9 1/2".  While I have a number of oil paintings in the works, I'm going to do more oil pastels and start using turps with some of my backgrounds, a practice from years ago that I've decided to revive.  My resolve may only last through one painting, but it's worth a try. My fingers get really tired from rubbing the backgrounds, especially on sanded surfaces, so I need a little help.  This could only work on board or oil paper, of course.
Jerri is such a good model and I have more drawings of her that may actually turn into paintings.  I'm always saying that and nothing comes of it.  And I don't think a drawing is made legitimate by becoming a painting - it's just that sometimes, things look good in oil paint.  I am especially interested in doing paintings that are also drawings for a good portion of the piece.  Too many times, I've covered up lines that I loved and then missed them.  Am going to try not to do that again.  Anyway, that's what I'm up to here at Hackberry Street Studio.  Glad you stopped by - thanks for listening!  Sold

11 comments:

cohen labelle said...

I like this portrait. She's a sentient being. What's more she seems to be weighing and sharing your thoughts.

Jeff Oxley said...

I like this portrait Connie. I like the seriousness of expression. The mood is perfect.

hmuxo said...

This portrait is excellent, Connie! The colors on Jerri and her expression is wonderful. Hope to see more portraits. I was away on vacation and missed your previous painting of "Jivers again"....Love the motion and her dress....nicely painted!!!!

Anthony Duce said...

Wonderful work. The sketch, the lines, come through well.

Connie Chadwell said...

Thank you, Marcia - your comment makes me feel that I've really captured her - always a great thing when doing a portrait!

Connie Chadwell said...

Thank you, Jeff - really nice - I appreciate it!

Connie Chadwell said...

Hi Hilda - thank you so much! Hope your vacation was lots of fun!

Connie Chadwell said...

Thank you, Anthony - glad you like it - nice to hear good things from a fellow line-lover!

Unknown said...

I like it very much, Connie.

Finally I've bought a set of oil pastels. And I'm going to find some time to try it this coming week.

Connie Chadwell said...

Lucy, I can't wait to hear how you like the oil pastels! And thanks for visiting!

Anonymous said...

Thanks іn support of sharing suc a nice idea,
post іs gоod, thats why i haѵe гead it fully